Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Deep Thoughts - Thick Fog
I was driving to piano lessons again today (that seems to happen with frightening regularity). Picture this (I promise, it won't be hard) - farmers fields covered in snow. White, undulating hills as far as the eye can see (which today isn't very far). Now add thick white fog. At one point during the drive I couldn't see anything at all - no trees, no bushes, no houses or telephone poles - except the 50 feet of road in front of me. Besides making me slightly nauseaous (I still get carsick after all these years...) it also caused me to recall the story of Lehi's Vision of the Tree of Life in the Book of Mormon. When he talks about the mists of darkness that came up and caused the people to wander from the path and become lost. Well, these mists weren't dark -remember they were white - but they were nearly as impenetrable, and the thought came to me that life is really a lot like that foggy road. We don't always get to see what lies ahead; we can't necessarily see the obstacles that bar our road, nor can we see where others paths may eventually lead. All we have is the 50 feet of road ahead of us and faith that the path continues from there. And eventually, if we don't slide off the road or get lost in the mist, we will see a landmark that lets us know that we are still on the right path. I guess I'm not articulating my thoughts very well, but it was profound at the time. Really...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Rachel, that is profound. Thank you! I quite enjoyed your thoughts.
i do enjoy visiting your blog, and read your messages.
Wow! I have always admired people that can find these kind of lessons in daily life. It was profound!
Wow, very rarely am I struck with such amazing thoughts! Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment